DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP

Old 10-10-2009

Mr Chekus is on a distinguished road
Default Hard disk almost full

Hello:
My computer is a lap top toshiba satellite M55sp339, OS Windows XP Pro and it's continuously sending a message that the hard disk is almost full, after that apears a window with scanning disk for free space liberating.
The disk is partitioned, the OS is in the active partition and has 20GB
I've already uninstalled many application programs but is still sending this message and the free space disk is in 100MB always and requires 200MB as minimum
The hard disk has 80GB size
I'll be thakfull for your help
Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2009
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Hard disk almost full

It's difficult to figure out what's wrong based on your vague description. It is desirable to have a minimum of 15GB free for optimal system and application performance. The system can run with as low as 5GB or even a little less but not without taking a big performance hit. If you accidentally let the free space get down to 500 KB or less, you can get to a point where you can't boot.

Have you run the disk clean program in Windows to clean cache and history files? If not, you need to do so.

If you have Norton installed check to see if the symantec\liveupdate folder is full of old downloads. If so, then delete all files in that folder.

Last, open My Computer and position the mouse over each drive for a couple of seconds.... it will tell you what the free space on each drive is. We need to know those figures before we can do much else for you.

Last edited by Jerry K : 11-03-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2009

Mr Chekus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hard disk almost full

I've been deleting old files, uninstalled programs that I don't use anymore, I've been scanning with Panda antivirus, Ad aware, scanning On line antivirus, and indicates that there isn't any problem but the problem is still remaining.
The message that the system requires 200MB minimun is from Windows OS, I've been reviewing hard disk size after uninstalling programs and seems no problem because I increased HD free space, but when I'm working that message appears again and starts cleaning unused files and the HD size is decreased.
When I did partitioned the hard disk I installed OS in the main disk, I did create other two partitions, in the third partition I've created folders for additional programs where they update with no problem and appart from the main partition.
I also used other programs as registry cleaners, but is the same thing.
Thank's
Old 10-11-2009
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Hard disk almost full

Last, open My Computer and position the mouse over each drive for a couple of seconds.... it will tell you what the free space on each drive is. We need to know those figures before we can do much else for you.

I can't help if you don't provide the requested info!

Also, explain this statement: "HD size is decreased." how is this possible? An 80 gb hard drive will always be a 80 gb hard drive..... unless it has sectors marked as bad by a software disk scanning program.
Old 11-03-2010

treloar1000 is on a distinguished road

You said your primary partition is 20GB, what are the sizes of the other partitions?

Is the Windows Swap file set to a specific amount or is it system managed, if its system managed your PC may be chewing up the space your freeing via the swap file.
Old 03-15-2012

ShaneBro is on a distinguished road

If your Hard Drive is full then you can use the option which are supported in the property menu of your hard disk that is COMPRESS your data. By using it you can save lots of space in your Drive.
Old 04-05-2012

BreadHog is on a distinguished road

If your hard disk is full then you can use the Compress option of that disk to compress the already stored data within it and save the space as much as possible.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]