DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP

Old 07-22-2009

Helpis on the way is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows Missing File

chkdsk /p /r comes back with the following: 0% completed. The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2009

My problems are listed in this article and I did everything that it suggests doing.
[url]http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20855465.html[/url]
Old 07-22-2009
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Windows Missing File

I'm unable to read any comments left at the bottom of the page. Last time I visited that site, it wasn't that way. But it looks like they have went the way of so many other sites and started charging a fee just to be able to read comments/answers.

I see no other recourse except to reinstall the os. Just be sure and don't choose to reformat the drive. Doing so will erase the entire contents of the hard drive. When asked/prompted, just choose to replace the existing OS files only, ie: C:\Windows is the default folder for Windows to install to. Nothing else. This procedure can be accomplished in less than 30 minutes so don't be afraid of loosing data, music, videos, emails, etc.

When you choose the proper method, it will only replace OS files. Then when finished be sure to start the Windows Update as it will be required in order to get the system update with all the KB and critical updates from Mikeysoft.
Old 07-22-2009

That's the kicker, it won't let me reinstall Windows XP. IT says "An error occurred while Setup was updating partition information on:
38155 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]. Setup cannot continue."
Old 07-22-2009
Super Moderator

idea Re: Windows Missing File

Then the only method left would be to install another hard drive in the system as C: drive. Install Windows XP on the new drive, then install the troublesome drive as a slave. Copy all important data from D: (the old drive) to C: (the new drive) by dragging and dropping files or entire folders. There exists software that when installed will allow you to duplicate on the new drive the content of the old drive.... however, I always prefer to use drag and drop method.

Then you can reformat the old drive and start from scratch again. A lot of trouble but your choices are few.
Old 07-23-2009

Thank you kindly sir. Any suggestions on what internal hard drive to buy? It is for a Toshiba Satellite laptop.
Old 07-24-2009
Super Moderator

With a laptop, you must rig the old drive in a usb enclosure and connect via a usb port since there's no room in a laptop to install a 2nd hd. Any of the major brands are ok, Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, IBM. etc. I get them off fleabay for 1/3 the price most retailers sell them. And you might want to consider buying one that has more capacity than the old drive.

You can also buy a cheap device that will accomplish the same thing as an external usb enclosure. It's simply a cable with the right connectors on each end that will attach to the drive and to a usb port and comes with a wall-wart power supply. It's called a USB 2.0 to SATA + IDE converter and they are less than $10.00 plus the shipping. You can see one on Geeks website:
Code:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020-OTB&cat=CBL&cpc=CBLbsc
This one will handle both SATA AND IDE drives. I keep one on hand just for that very purpose. The most handy device ever to come along since pockets on a shirt... lol.

You have one other option but it requires quite a bit of extra space on the old hard drive and that's to install Windows to a different folder than the default folder of C:\Windows. But I would only use that option if everything else fails. The downside to this would be you would have to uninstall and re-install all your programs but at least all your data would still be intact. It would create a brand new registry so it wouldn't have any data about your existing programs.... that's why it would require re-installation of all programs.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]