DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP

Old 07-21-2009
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Windows Missing File

HAL = Hardware Abstraction Layer

Read the causes and cures here:

[url]http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/restorehaldll.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm[/url]

[url]http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm[/url]

Available here:

[url]http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1514911[/url]

and here:

Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/258460984/HAL.DLL
Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2009

Helpis on the way is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows Missing File

Okay I did expand^e:\i386\hal.dl_^C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll and it said Access is Denied.

The computer cant download, it turns on and just says Missing File...hal.dll. Im thinking a virus had something to do with this. Any more thoughts?
Old 07-21-2009
Super Moderator

One more trick. Try running System File Checker and have it replace missing and corrupt files. If you're able to type commands that means your booting into dos somehow.... not sure how you're doing that but it doesn't matter just as long as you can get to a dos prompt.

type: sfc^/scannow (replace the ^ with a space), then press ENTER

Make sure the Windows XP install disk is in the optical drive.

Just don't touch the keyboard or mouse while this runs. It should take around 15-20 minutes to run and replace all corrupt and missing OS files.

After it finishes, just reboot and see if it will boot into Windows normally.

Last edited by Jerry K : 07-21-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2009

Well for reference this is how Im getting into dos... I put in the CD, 4 options come up and I select CD Drive, the computer then says "Setup is loading files" on a blue screen, Then it says "Welcone to Setup" and I can select to set up XP now or repair by presssing R. Errors come up when I try to set up XP so I press R and the dos comes up.

I typed in sfc^/scannow (replace the ^ with a space) and it said command is not recognized
Old 07-21-2009
Super Moderator

The file resides here: C:\Windows\System32\sfc.exe

So if you're not in that folder, you might try changing directory by typing:

cd\Windows\System32 then press ENTER, then try the sfc^ /scannow command line again.

once in the folder, you can type dir^sfc.exe, then press enter and if the file is missing, you won't get a listing for it. If it's missing then you have a corrupt or just plain missing file.

replace ^ with a space

If all else fails, it's looking more like you will have to reinstall the os. Also, you should be able to run setup from the install cd disk and went prompted choose to replace the existing C:\Windows folder with new files. That method just overwrites only the existing Windows OS files. You won't loose data or emails, it just replaces the existing os files with new files. You will have to run Windows Update after doing so.

Last edited by Jerry K : 07-21-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2009

I keep getting "An error occurred during directory enumeration." I read on one site to run the hard drive as a slave and then copy the boot files into the hard drive. What do you think about that? Or should I just reinstall the OS. And how would I go about doing that?
Old 07-22-2009
Super Moderator

Booting into the Recovery Console

You'll need your Windows XP installation CD or have access to it through your boot menu. In this instance, we'll use an installation CD. Follow these steps to boot into the Recovery Console from a Windows XP Installation CD.

1) Place your Windows XP in the first bootable CD-ROM drive
2) Restart your computer and make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD
3) When you see the following command press the space bar.

"press any key to boot from cd..."

4) Wait until you see the "Welcome to Setup" screen, and press R to start the Recovery Console
5) Choose which Windows installation you wish to load (this is usually #1 unless you have a multi-boot system)
6) Type the administrator password and press Enter
7) You should now be at the C:\Windows> prompt

If you are experiencing this particular problem, typing DIR and pressing Enter on your keyboard will give you the dreaded message "an error occurred during directory enumeration".

At the command prompt type the following command and press Enter

chkdsk^/p^/r (replace the ^ with a space)

Allow chkdsk to run until complete, this may take a few minutes, but it may also take a few hours depending on the size of the hard drive and the degree of corruption. Don't interrupt the process, just walk away and let the program check the disk and fix the problems it finds. Amazingly enough, doing just this step can fix many boot issues with Windows XP

Once the chkdsk program completes, type Exit to reboot Windows. In many instances, this simple procedure will allow Windows to boot correctly again.

If Windows does indeed boot correctly, don't tempt fate again...backup any important data now as a precaution. You can do this with your burning software and use dvd or cd-r disks for the backup media. You can also use backup software like Acronis to perform a total backup of the hard drive. This type software creates a disk image of the hard drive but make sure you have a perfectly running Windows os before doing a backup.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]