DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Software Forums > Viruses, Spyware, Adware, and other nasties

Old 07-12-2009

Mr Chekus is on a distinguished road
Question Can't update Spybot and other tools

I've noticed recently that I can't update some tools as Spybot Search & Destroy
but the real problem is that I can't uninstall this program, when I use remove or add programs in Windows XP Pro simply appear a message that can't uninstall program.
The first program that I noticed this behavior was Ad Aware, but I unistalled and reinstalled the program and detected some adware and tracking cookies, after a period of time my laptop slow down but ad aware only detects tracking cookies, and Spybot can't update, only shows an error message that advice can't update and have no adminitrator privileges to do this, I have administrator account.

I need to Know how to uninstall Spybot.

Currently I have installed Panda antivirus v3.01.00 and Zone Alarm firewall
Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2009
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Can't update Spybot and other tools

Go ahead and install Spybot Search & Destroy. It will replace the missing or corrupt file(s) required to un-install it. If unsuccessful, then the only way to get rid of it is by manual deletion of all related files and folders. And any references to Spybot Search & Destroy in the registry using regedt32.exe. You have to open regedit by clicking on Start, Run, then type regedt32 into the run box, then click ok. Now click on Edit then Find. Type the name Spybot into the find what box then click on the search now button. When it locks onto a related key or key value, right-click that key or key value then left-click delete (or you can press the Del key as well).

After deleting the first value/key, then press the F3 key to resume the search and repeat until the search is finished. It would be a good idea to make a backup copy of the registry (or create a restore point) before making any changes to the registry. That's in case you have problems by deleting something that's not suppose to be deleted, you can restore it back to the way it was originally.

And another method would be to use the Restore Wizard and choose an earlier date before the problem began. Restore to an earlier date by clicking Start, Run, type msconfig into the box and click on OK. You will see a Launch System Restore button in the bottom on the resultant box. Click on that button then....

You will then see 2 choices:

1. Restore my computer to an earlier date
or
2: Create a restore point

When restoring, you will be presented a calendar from which to choose restore points from.

When creating a restore point, you will be prompted to save the backup file. type the date or anything else you wish and choose a folder (one that you can find easy)... just be sure you know and remember where you saved it to. You will need to direct the restore program to that folder if you ever need to restore from the backup file. I alway name mine like this:
07-12-09-rs01, 07-12-09-rs02, 07-12-09-rs03 or anything similar will be ok. You don't have to type the extension, it will add that automatically.

If you're afraid to edit the registry manually, you can use any software registry cleaner to do the same thing but run it AFTER you delete all the files and folders relating to Spybot. It's very important to run it AFTER you have deleted the Spybot files and folders since the registry cleaning program will check registry values against valid folders and files. It the folder doesn't exist, then the registry cleaner knows to delete that key or key value.
Old 07-13-2009

Mr Chekus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can't update Spybot and other tools

OK, I'll try this options
Old 02-23-2010

vinitezyrs6 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Can't update Spybot and other tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry K
Go ahead and install Spybot Search & Destroy. It will replace the missing or corrupt file(s) required to un-install it. If unsuccessful, then the only way to get rid of it is by manual deletion of all related files and folders. And any references to Spybot Search & Destroy in the registry using regedt32.exe. You have to open regedit by clicking on Start, Run, then type regedt32 into the run box, then click ok. Now click on Edit then Find. Type the name Spybot into the find what box then click on the search now button. When it locks onto a related key or key value, right-click that key or key value then left-click delete (or you can press the Del key as well).

After deleting the first value/key, then press the F3 key to resume the search and repeat until the search is finished. It would be a good idea to make a backup copy of the registry (or create a restore point) before making any changes to the registry. That's in case you have problems by deleting something that's not suppose to be deleted, you can restore it back to the way it was originally.

And another method would be to use the Restore Wizard and choose an earlier date before the problem began. Restore to an earlier date by clicking Start, Run, type msconfig into the box and click on OK. You will see a Launch System Restore button in the bottom on the resultant box. Click on that button then....

You will then see 2 choices:

1. Restore my computer to an earlier date
or
2: Create a restore point

When restoring, you will be presented a calendar from which to choose restore points from.

When creating a restore point, you will be prompted to save the backup file. type the date or anything else you wish and choose a folder (one that you can find easy)... just be sure you know and remember where you saved it to. You will need to direct the restore program to that folder if you ever need to restore from the backup file. I alway name mine like this:
07-12-09-rs01, 07-12-09-rs02, 07-12-09-rs03 or anything similar will be ok. You don't have to type the extension, it will add that automatically.

If you're afraid to edit the registry manually, you can use any software registry cleaner to do the same thing but run it AFTER you delete all the files and folders relating to Spybot. It's very important to run it AFTER you have deleted the Spybot files and folders since the registry cleaning program will check registry values against valid folders and files. It the folder doesn't exist, then the registry cleaner knows to delete that key or key value.

Thank you very much for the detailed post. I am in the same boat as the OP so I would try your suggested options to see if they help. Thanks again.

Last edited by vinitezyrs6 : 08-20-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]