DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP

Old 08-05-2008

Ammo Guy is on a distinguished road
Question Buying and selling Windows XP OS?

This is one of those questions that everybody kinda knows the answer to, but...
I was given a laptop that was supposedly FUBAR. I resurrected it.
I also got ALL of the software/documentation with it.
How do I get XP in my name? Will I have to leave it under the original owners name to continue getting support from MS?

Thank you,
The Ammo Guy
“The faster I go, the slower I get.”
Me
Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2008
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buying and selling Windows XP OS?

That depends on several factors. If it's an OEM version of Windows XP, you can only get XP support from the laptop maker....providing they will transfer ownership and providing you can prove to them you are the legal owner. You actually need to contact the laptop maker and ask.

If you have a retail version of Windows XP installed, then you can get support from Microsoft providing they will transfer ownership and providing the OS is still within their time constraints. ie: whatever time limits they have on the os. Again, you need to contact Microsoft and ask them about your problem.

I don't understand what your statement means: How do I get XP in my name?

Do you mean how to make the software show your name instead of the previous owners name or are you referring to support only? If you only want to change what's showing on the screen and in the System icon in Control Panel, then you will need to edit the registry to change the name (and and possible the install key) but that won't necessarily get you support from whomever, ie: Microsoft or the laptop maker. If you can clarify exactly what your wanting to do, perhaps we can offer a solution.
Old 08-11-2008

Ammo Guy is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Buying and selling Windows XP OS?

Hi everybody,
I thought this would open a can of worms.
To answer your question the laptop came factory loaded with MS XP sp1. It has three eMachines Recovery discs.
Let me state this terms of a hypothetical:
Mr. Smith buys an eMachines laptop. Later he wishes to transfer ownership to Mr. Jones. How does Mr. Jones let eMachines and Microsoft know that he is now the rightful owner of the laptop and factory installed software?
Let me expand this further…. Later, while in Mr. Jones possession, the laptop has a failure that requires the assistance of either eMachines and or Microsoft. Will they politely tell Mr. Jones to “pound sand” because the original purchaser shows up as Mr. Smith?
What is the procedure to transfer registration rights and privileges from Mr. Smith to Mr. Jones? My thought is the big problem will be with Microsoft because of their concerns with piracy.

A final thought… My personal view of Operating Systems is the same as books, movies, or music. The creator holds the artistic rights to the piece. I MAY NOT copy (pirate) their intellectual creation. But like a book it may be transferred back and forth intoto.

I hope this clarifies my question.

The Ammo Guy 8-)
“Aim small, miss small.”
Old 08-12-2008
Super Moderator

idea Re: Buying and selling Windows XP OS?

[url=support.microsoft.com/kb/906533/en-us]You receive a "Validation Incomplete: Online Validation Failure" error message or a "0x80080204" error code when you try to validate Windows XP[/url]

[url=support.microsoft.com/kb/905226/en-us]The Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) validation check process does not complete when you try to validate your copy of Windows XP or Windows 2000 Professional[/url]

[url=www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en]You can download SP2 from here - need broadband/cable - 266 Mb.[/url]

[url=www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx]or order the CD from here ....[/url]

Installing SP2 may help

Perhaps a bit late in the day, but you don't need to reinstall XP to change the owner name: [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310441[/url]

You could also simply have created a new account for yourself and then deleted the ones on the system you no longer needed.

You can manually change ownership by doing this procedure:

Go to Documents and Settings folder, select the folder with his/her profile name.

Right click it , Properties, Security tab, Advanced button, Owner tab, select your name in the
'Change Owner to:' List, tick the 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' box.
Old 03-27-2009

Another_Stranger is on a distinguished road

can anyone tell me where i can get my hot little hands on a legit copy of windows xp pro?
Old 03-27-2009
Super Moderator

idea Re: Buying and selling Windows XP OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Stranger
can anyone tell me where i can get my hot little hands on a legit copy of windows xp pro?

At your local software store or direct from Microsoft. In order for it to be considered "legit", you need to buy it since Microsoft doesn't give or loan copyrights or ownership to it. Or you need to buy a pc with an OEM copy of Windows XP installed. If the pc has a tag showing the OEM cd-key, that would also be considered a legit copy.
Old 03-27-2009

Another_Stranger is on a distinguished road

i need to reformat my pc, and i wanted it for that

i have had trouble in the past with so called good copies, thats why i wanted a proper copy for myself... i am willing to buy, no questions asked about that

i have tried all the local stores and the only thing they seem to be selling is vista, and im not interested in that
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]