DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 2000

Old 08-15-2007

frustrateea is on a distinguished road
Default Windows 2000 - correct order of business after re-install

Hello,

Trying to troubleshoot the source of registry bloat that is causing my computer to have the dreaded SYSTEMced (bloated system hive) problem. Only just discovered that it's happeneing to my clean installs too, so I'm re-installing one more time and watching carefully what happens during the update phase.

The problem is that it's been long enough since I did a windows install that I have completely forgotten the "order of business" of post-install setup, and even so I have little experience with these new Nforce motherboards, I previously stuck with systems based on the Via chipset for compatibility reasons.

I need the order of driver/service pack install, as doing it wrong **used to** leave the system in quite a state.

The board I'm using is an Asus A8n-E. Video is a BFG Geforce 7600GT-OC on PCI-E slot, so it's nothing exotic.

Drivers/software I have available:
Forceware for Nforce4 boards : version 6.86 (from nvidia website, ASUS site references v6.66 set as "newest")
Asus ACPI driver for ATK 0110 virtual device : From ASUS site. the only thing I have found that removed the final unknown device (actual name) in Device Manager.
Video Card Drivers : Forceware v.93.71 or Forceware v.162.18 (older preferred as it's what's run well since I bought this card, plus newer is not supported by Rivatuner).

Can anyone tell me the proper order of : those drivers, SP4, Blaster patch - anough that I can let my router's firewall keep me reasonably safe while I grab the rest of my windows updates? Also am I better using the board manufacturer's "latest" drivers, or should I be using the ones from the chipset manufacturer?

I don't want to install NVidia Firewall or Cool and Quiet, so please leave oth these steps if you can.

Thanks,
[FRUSTRATEEA]
Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows 2000 - correct order of business after re-install

after OS install, do the system hardware driver installs, ie: video, sound, chipsets, etc. then do the Windows Updates. Always use the drivers provided by the mb manufacturer.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]