DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP

Old 06-11-2004
Matt

Default Unable to format drive - help apreciated

I have two hard disks in my PC and I recently installed windows onto the empty one so that I could format the first one and then use the second to boot windows.

At the moment I am dual running windows XP Pro

Everything went ok except that I cannot format the origenal drive (The one with software and first install of windows.)

I get the message:
"Windows was unable to complete the format"

Is because windows still thinks there is important data on that drive? I have tryed to format it from both OS installations and nither works.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Matt
Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2004
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea

My suggestion would be to install only the drive you wish to be the boot drive as master, install the xp os on it... then add the old drive that still contains your original os (and files) as slave, copy whatever data/files you wish to retain to the C drive, then retry the format of the old drive.

Be sure to make the correct bios settings for enabling/disabling each drive port thru each step.
Old 06-18-2004
Khaalowen

Thumbs up

I have successfully booted from a win 98se boot floppy, run fdisk and removed the ntfs partition, from the (new) master drive you can then reformat the old drive.
Old 06-18-2004
Ed Baker

Default formatting problem

I have put the cd i want to install an o/s from in the drive, opened it and found the "format" command in the directory, then typed the format C: command & no problem.
The HD formatted and then automatically went back to the CD directory where I used the "Setup" command and then the O/S installed normally.
Hope this is a help.

--------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I have two hard disks in my PC and I recently installed windows onto the empty one so that I could format the first one and then use the second to boot windows.

Everything went ok except that I cannot format the origenal drive (The one with software and first install of windows.)

I get the message:

Is because windows still thinks there is important data on that drive? I have tryed to format it from both OS installations and nither works.

Matt
Old 07-06-2004
Unregistered

Exclamation

Try booting from Dos Boot disk or older windows version. Boot from floppy. To a: and then format c:
Old 07-15-2004
driver

Remove the new HD and install the old HD and boot from the flopy, Use FDISK command, remove all partions and then repartion, It will aske you to format disk, typ (format c: /s) and proceed, this should do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt

I get the message:

Matt
Old 08-30-2006

linuxactivist is on a distinguished road
idea Re: Unable to format drive - help apreciated

I have had the same problems with a lot of USB drives. I figured out a way to correct the problem using linux (or Linux bootable CD's if you don't have Linux installed and don't want to install it). I wrote up the steps on my blog:

[URL="http://linuxactivist.blogspot.com/2006/08/linux-tip-resurrecting-broken-usb.html"]http://linuxactivist.blogspot.com/2006/08/linux-tip-resurrecting-broken-usb.html[/URL]
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]