DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 2000

Old 11-11-2006

duncan is on a distinguished road
Question pci/usb host controller win 2000

help needed, my laptop now has win2k but the original os was win95. everything works ok with win2000 Except!! the usb port. Device manager says error code 10 and i have performed the usual uninstall etc. I have also installed sp4 . Wiil the chipset only work with win 95?? or can i overcome this problem without reverting to an earlier version of windows?
Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2006
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: pci/usb host controller win 2000

It's difficult to say... you didn't provide any info about your usb device. I personally have never seen a usb chipset or usb card that wasn't supported natively by all Windows os's. Can you provide some details from Device Manager?

Here's what Microsoft states about CODE 10:

The device cannot start. (Code 10)
Try updating the device drivers for this device.
Solution button: Update Driver (starts the Update Driver wizard)
Cause
This error message is one of the most commonly encountered error messages. The most common cause of this error message is a bad or incompatible device driver.
Troubleshooting

• If the error message occurs because of a bad device driver, it is generally because a specific subdriver in the driver stack does not succeed IRP_MN_START_DEVICE. It can be difficult to determine which driver in the stack is at fault. This behavior can occur if a driver in the driver stack is corrupted or invalid for this device. When a device is enumerated, the descriptor contained in its configuration memory space is capable of defining a list of compatible devices that work if a specific device driver for this device is unavailable. If Windows 2000 loads the compatible device driver but cannot adequately drive the device, the error message may be displayed. In this case, a prompt for a device driver is not displayed. Check with the manufacturer of this device for a digitally signed Windows 2000 specific device driver for the device. Run the Update Driver wizard using the Update Driver button, but do not let Windows 2000 automatically detect devices. Instead, click Have Disk when prompted, and manually point the wizard to the appropriate driver.

• This error code may be displayed if the device attempts to use one of Windows 2000's class drivers but that class driver cannot drive the device. You may encounter this behavior if you are prompted for a device driver but none was available, so you skipped the installation. You can resolve this problem using the same method described in the bulleted item above.

• Try another device to verify that the hardware is not bad.
Old 11-16-2006

duncan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: pci/usb host controller win 2000

Hi Jerry, Thanks for the advice on my usb port problem. According to device manager the usb controller is an Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to usb universal host controller and the driver has exactly the same name.When i go to update the driver i go to "display a list of known drivers etc..." and i get the above mentioned and another one which is "Standard universal pci to usb host controller" I have run an Intel chipset identification utility and this says that i have an Intel (R) 430 chipset and the memory controller is an 82430 TX. I have also run an Intel usb system check which is a 3 parter. 1 system software (OS) support. 2 system hardware support and 3 usb driver support. this comes up with 1 no system software upgrade required 2 cannot determine system hardware config and 3 usb driver connection is not operating correctly. I have plugged a 4 port hub into the usb socket and the green led lights so there must be 5v? at the port. hope this helps. Meanwhile i will look at the other comments you made and try these out,regards Duncan
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]