DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP

Old 10-20-2003
Assassin

Default Problems installing windows from a newly formatted HD

I am trying to install windows but it will not boot from the CD-ROM and says invalid disk because I think it goes right to the Hard Drive. Now I used a win 98 boot disk and partitioned and formatted the HD. I also tried accessing the CD-ROM with the help for the Win 98 boot disk, but everytime I try to use the CD-ROM drive it says invalid driver specification. I thought this could be something about the CD-ROM drivers, so I searched for the drivers on another computer and found it but I don't know how to make the boot disk use those drivers to load the Cd_rom instead of the ones it thinks it is like MSCDEX or whatever, what should I do so I can boot from the CD-ROM to install windows.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2003
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea

Windows 98SE boot disk contains the necessary drivers to enable just about any ide cd-rom drive. You gave no information about what cd-rom drive you have nor how it connects to the pc.
In order to boot from the Windows XP installation disk, you must have the boot order set in pc bios setup to cd drive first. (if your pc bios allows this).

If not then provide some drive information and some connection/configuration info.
Old 10-30-2003
sdo

idea drivers cd-rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry K
Windows 98SE boot disk contains the necessary drivers to enable just about any ide cd-rom drive. You gave no information about what cd-rom drive you have nor how it connects to the pc.
In order to boot from the Windows XP installation disk, you must have the boot order set in pc bios setup to cd drive first. (if your pc bios allows this).

If not then provide some drive information and some connection/configuration info.

If this is not working, boot your pc wit startup disk for win98 , when done start with cd-rom support, go to the cd-rom drive and run the setup.exe.

This will work if your cd-rom was working before the problem
Old 12-21-2003
Peat moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdo
If this is not working, boot your pc wit startup disk for win98 , when done start with cd-rom support, go to the cd-rom drive and run the setup.exe.

This will work if your cd-rom was working before the problem
Drive letters get changed when you use a win98 boot disk
try e:/set up instead of d:/
Old 09-30-2004
Unregistered

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
I am trying to install windows but it will not boot from the CD-ROM and says invalid disk because I think it goes right to the Hard Drive. Now I used a win 98 boot disk and partitioned and formatted the HD. I also tried accessing the CD-ROM with the help for the Win 98 boot disk, but everytime I try to use the CD-ROM drive it says invalid driver specification. I thought this could be something about the CD-ROM drivers, so I searched for the drivers on another computer and found it but I don't know how to make the boot disk use those drivers to load the Cd_rom instead of the ones it thinks it is like MSCDEX or whatever, what should I do so I can boot from the CD-ROM to install windows.

I also have the same problem, but when I try to run setup.exe I get the message that "this programme cannot be run in Dos" and the PC restarts. Please advise. Thanks
Old 10-04-2004
Stratos

Post Install

On boot.. go to Your BIOS
Check to make sure you are Booting to the CDrom, Instead of the HDD0...
(or hard disk )
In Advanced - Boot ?? Boot device 1 -2 -3 etc..

If you know how to get to BIOS...
Usually prompts for "Setup" - Del - key for example..

If you are trying to boot from the CD.. the System is bypassing it, due to this..
Old 10-08-2004
rudolf

Default solution

the first thing is the BIOS must support booting from a CD ROM if it deos then configure it as the first boot device
secondly the CD u are using mut be bootable if is then after configure the CD ROM as the first boot device just slot in the CD and restart the systemit going to boot if u do all this
but if ur BIOS deos not support booting from cd rom THIS IS another solution boot with a 98 bootable disk and copy the files on the HDD then install the CDROM driver then boot normally and then insert the CD ,change into the drive letter and type the following
assuming ur CDROM drive letter is d
type D:\winNT32\winNT.exe it will do thesame thing as booting with the CD
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]