DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP

Old 06-07-2004
Unregistered

when i put my Windows CD in it says that it is Non-Emulation Booting and then just sits there and does nothing. I can't get the CD-Rom to boot. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2004
Unregistered

Default access denied

I got so excited when I saw this thread, got into the recovery console and typed md tmp... ACCESS DENIED! What the? I have no passwords or anything, so why is it saying this?
Old 06-08-2004
Unregistered

It seems to be important that the CD drive must be master (secondary), if you want to avoid the 'missing files' error. Also, as master, the CD drive prefers to be connented to the middle connector on the cable.
It has worked for me two or three times to check this, although, I must admit, sometimes nothing seems to help.
Old 06-08-2004
shashank

Default similar problem

I have a similar problem to someone in here, my windows xp wont load because it says c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or whatever. I have a windows xp pro disc but i dunno what to do in the repair mode to fix it. Would really appreciate some assistance. Thanks
Old 06-08-2004
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
this problem occurs when you try to update drivers in the computer..sometimes windows XP cannot update the driver and that corrupts system.ini file as it has a lot of bad entries..Due to this you will get this error mesage..No its not due to virus.its due to an attempt to change system.ini file

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

That means the System Registry Hive has become corrupted.

There are two ways to get back up and running. The easy way which doesn't always work, and then there is the hard way.

Easy Way --- Note that this doesn't always work.
When you are booting your system, press the F8 key during the start of the bootup sequence, meaning after it does the Power On Self Test.

Once you press the F8 key, you will be taken to a Menu. Select "Boot Using Last Known Good Configuration".

It will now attempt to load Windows XP using a past set of configuration files.

If that doesn't work, there is the next step....the hard way.

Hard Way
Boot your system with the Windows XP Install CD, let the system boot into the Setup. Once in the Setup, choose to run the Recovery Console.

You will now be presented with a screen similar to good old DOS.

First, we will recover the System Hive.

Now, type in the following commands with pressing Enter after each line.

md tmp
copy C:\windows\system32\config\system C:\windows\tmp\system.bak
delete C:\windows\system32\config\system
copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

Be very careful when you are typing in these commands, one wrong move, and you have, broken Windows XP.

Also, change the C in the commands to whatever your Windows XP drive letter is.

Attempt to boot the system, if it doesn't boot, get back into the Recovery Console and do the following commands.

md tmp
copy C:\windows\system32\config\software C:\windows\tmp\software.bak
delete C:\windows\system32\config\software
copy C:\windows\repair\software C:\windows\system32\config\software
sorry for the long quote, but i got as far as the similar to good old dos, and the computer wont let me put md tmp in, only one character :S
Old 06-08-2004
Unregistered

me again, its asking "which windoes installation would you like to log onto
(to cancel press ENTER)?
Old 06-09-2004
craig

Exclamation corrupt: c:\windows\system32\config\system

Good afternoon All,

I have been reading the problems and responses that people have been providing. I certainly can relate to this current issue as i have just experienced it myself. But i have a twist to this problem. I bought a system put together by ACER. One thing i did check when i picked up the machine, was that there was recovery disks. And there was. But i am now getting the error message of a corrupt: c:\windows\system32\config\system.
Following the proceedures set out on using the recovery disks does not solve my problem. The system does not recognise the recovery disk provided by ACER. Therefore i am not able to go into the Recovery Consule. It appears the disks provided by ACER are a cut down version of the Microsoft XP Home Edition software. Is anybody able to provide a solution to this new problem.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Craig T
Closed Thread [Upload Driver/Firmware]