DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP

Old 10-29-2006

peter is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: missing file windows\system32\config\system

Administrator password

When installing XP Pro it will create an Administrator Account and ask for a password this is the password its asking for, if you did not input one then just press enter.
If after installing XP you put a password in the Admin account through Administrator Tools, computer management, this is the password. I’ve never tried using the recovery console with a different account with Admin rights so I cant say if it will work.

You could try this when you slave the drive in an other XP machine

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows XP

[url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418[/url]

useful reading
How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

[url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040[/url]
Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2007

Spookster831 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: missing file windows\system32\config\system

Hi, I have had this problem with the missing file windows\system32\config\system and I have tried the fixes outlines, however I am encountering a problem. When I go into the recovery area it does not ask me which version I want to use and doesn't ask me for a password. Then when I type a command it tells me 'access is denied'. I have gotten some commands to work (ie chkdsk, chkdsk /r fix, and fixboot). Also, when it wants me to type a command it has C:\> before it and doesn't mention windows anywhere. I would really appreciate it if someone would help, thanks
Old 02-06-2007

krums1000 is on a distinguished road

This may be kicking a dead horse but I think I've managed to have this problem in a totally new and more painful way:

Same error on Boot, Windows will not start due to corrupt/missing c:\windows\system32\config\system, booting from an XP CD and heading to the recovery console will get me to the DOS prompt but from there any entries (i.e. cd c:\windows) "There is no floppy disk or CD in the drive." and any Del or Copy commands yield "Access is denied." message. So I'm a sitting duck, can't start in safe mode or anything to that effect either...Only accessible things are the XP install screen which won't let me install because I cannot create a new partition without crashing and the recovery console which yields nothing.

Edit: chkdsk commands yield "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems." :/

I have no idea if there's anything with BIOS I can do to get around this but it's completely disabled my PC and I'm typing this from my roommate's. If anyone has a clue please help me out.
Old 02-19-2007

mxptlyk is on a distinguished road

I am here too, suddenly with no warning, no reboot is possible. System Restore was off and I had deleted Administrator\Applications (long malware/disk space related story, but mea culpa) and rebooted. Have done it two or three times before over the years without a problem. The mistake this time was failing to turn System Restore back on after defragging, but before rebooting. Like I said, mea culpa. Oops. Hair pulling followed. Following various MS help pages I made a boot disk (boot.ini, ntldr, etc.) and tried it. No luck and no effect. Similar for system recovery from an OEM XP CD. Press R for repair then the whole thing loops back to the power on screen and begins it all again. Loop forever. Then a blog suggested beginning the install process and backing out at the format the partitions? prompt. Then trying the boot disk. Did that it worked, sort of. Now I get the missing system root\Hal.dll (etc.) message. However, I can now get the OEM XP CD to at least see C: exists when pressing R to repair. Pressing chkdsk /r results in (varying) 2 - 25% completed an hour or two later along with the message "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems." Duh, how useless is that? Like I would be in DOS with the XP recovery if there wasn't a problem? It lies too. Nothing is unrecoverable. Be it a header gap, or a tail gap read error, there are always work arounds if there is no physical damage or overwriting. My HD is not reformatted. The 60 gigs of business records are still on it. I am merely lacking a partition table (FAT) and Windows XP can't cope. Using a laptop I downloaded the "guided help" file, but wow is this useless. If a system can't BOOT, then how is it supposed to see the USB flash stick? Let me tell you, because I am so desperate I tried it, it doesn't. Ok step two, cut and paste the commands to a word pad, save it as a txt, then copy it to a 3.5 floppy, then run it as a batch file. Result? A string of "Access is denied" lines. Okay step 3, manually copy and enter into the C: prompt of the damaged PC. Guess what? Access is denied. What have we learned? The Recovery Console will not allow any recovery other than it's own commands, but they ain't strong enough. Yup, tried Bootcfg /rebuild too. "Error: Failed to succcessfully (yup, ccc) scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt..." Yada, yada, yada. Yes it is corrupt. Part of I386\config is missing. I know that. Now, how do I access the drive to put it back? Is there any way beyond installing Linux on my laptop, physically removing the ill drive and slaving it to the Linux, then fixing it under Linux, then putting it back in the machine? Surely someone knows of an MS program (besides updating to Vista) or command set that will work?
Old 02-20-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

I am closing this thread, it's getting too many posts that are asking for help that should be in a thread of their own. No one wants to read everyone's problems other than the original poster's.

If you have problems please create your own thread.

Thread closed permanently.
Closed Thread [Upload Driver/Firmware]