DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

DriverGuide Forums

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Operating System Forums > UNIX / Linux

Old 10-23-2008

poster is on a distinguished road
Default 802.11a/b/g/n driver for ubuntu8.04/linux

I recently purchased an HP Pavilion dv5-1127cl and cannot get my wireless working. My system identifies the chipset as Atheros unknown device. I've tried all the drivers for ubuntu I can find. Before I return the computer for something more suitable for ubuntu, I thought I would give you a try. Can you please point me in the right direction?
thanks in advance!

Bob
Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2009

skorpion.91 is on a distinguished road
Post Re: 802.11a/b/g/n driver for ubuntu8.04/linux

hi,

in linux exist a package called 'ndiswrapper' that allow you to intall your Windows drivers of the wireless card on your linux distro. You can try with it. The program is included in ubuntu repositorys if you can find it, you can download it from:

[url]http://ftp.linux.it/ubuntu/pool/main/n/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-common_1.52-1ubuntu1_all.deb[/url]

the best thing is if you find ndiswrapper-gtk in your ubuntu repository so you have a grafichal interface to install the driver otherwise you can also install the driver by terminal. For do this you should open the terminal from your application menu and then run the following commands:

su - (and insert the root password for login as super user "root")
ndiswrapper -i <insert here your windows driver's path>
ndiswrapper -m
modprobe ndiswrapper

now you should able to configure your wireless card with the ubuntu network manager.
Closed Thread [Upload Driver/Firmware]