DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > Controllers (IDE, SCSI, IEEE1394, ...)

Old 08-27-2007

Erehwon is on a distinguished road
Default Help with Adaptec 2940 Startup Settings

I installed an Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI Host Adapter board into a vacant PCI slot in my PC to control an old SCSI Scanner. I only have one SCSI device hooked up and the scanner (which is set to SCSI ID #2 on the back of it and is properly terminated) works very well, but the 2940 also seems to cause four non-existant CD Drive icons to show up in 'My Computer'. I only have two physical DVD drives in this computer (which aren't even SCSI devices), but six CD drives are showing up in My Computer. I tried to uninstall the four extra CD drives thru Device Manager, but they keep coming back every time I reboot. So, I must have the 2940's setup settings (accessed via Control-A upon bootup) wrong and I can't figure out how to eliminate the four ghost CD devices from Adaptec's documentation. Upon booting up the computer the Adaptec startup sequence also times-out looking for SCSI devices (which, I think, probably takes longer than it must because of my incorrect 2940 settings). Can anyone please tell me the proper Adaptec 2940 startup settings to get rid of the four fake CD devices, stop the startup time-out error and to streamline the bootup process?
Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help with Adaptec 2940 Startup Settings

What is the "other" scsi device (besides the scanner) you have connected? And what scsi id # does it use? What are your current scsi settings, the one's visible in Ctl +A during bootup? You should have settings in the scsi card to match your devices. Tell us what they are and maybe we can help. And the Windows OS version your using?
Old 08-27-2007

Erehwon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for replying Jerry K. The OS is XP Pro (SP2) and there are no other SCSI devices connected to the computer; only the SCSI scanner, which is set to SCSI ID #2 on the back of the scanner. The 2940's bootup settings (via Ctrl-A), AKA "Config/View Host Adapter Settings" screens are:

Host Adapter SCSI ID = 7
SCSI Parity Checking = Enabled
Host Adapter SCSI Termination = Automatic

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS/BOOT DEVICE OPTIONS screen:
Boot Target ID = 0
Boot Lun # = 0

SCSI DEVICE CONFIGURATION screen:
Initiate Sync Negotiation: SCSI ID #0 and #1 = Yes, SCSI ID #2 = No, SCSI ID #3 thru 7 = Yes
Max Sync Transfer Rate: SCSI ID #0 thru #7 = 10.0
Enable Disconnection: SCSI ID #0 thru #7 = Yes
Send Start Unit Command: SCSI ID #0 thru #7 = No

ADDITIONAL CONFIGURATION OPTIONS screen:
Plug & Play Scam Support = Disabled
Host Adapter BIOS = Enabled
Support Removable Disks under BIOS as Fixed Disks = Enabled
Extended BIOS Translation for DOS Drives >1 Gigabyte = Enabled
Display <Cntrl A> Msg During BIOS Initialization = Enabled
Multiple LUN Support = Disabled
BIOS Support for Bootable CD Rom = Disabled
BIOS Support for Int 13 Extensions = Enabled

I hope you can help and thank you for trying.

Last edited by Erehwon : 08-27-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2007
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I misunderstood you as having more than one scsi device attached. The only problem I see is your scsi card thinks you have a bootable drive. ie: drive 0

Disable that and your long lag time should cease. In scsi, drive 0 is always reserved for a boot drive. Since you don't have one attached, just disable everything under drive 0. Only enable devices with scsi id #2 to match your scanner scsi id. Everything needs to be turned off or disabled for everything except scsi id #2.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]