DriverGuide
English Português Español Deutsch Français 中国 Italiano 日本語 Translate

Go Back   Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums > Computer Hardware Forums > CPUs & Motherboards

Old 03-23-2012

optiontips.in is on a distinguished road
Post optiontips.in complaints

Hello,

I have a pretty basic problem here. I'm using Windows Vista (don't ask why) and I'm trying to zip up a directory structure (using WINZIP) and getting the following error:

"The compression cannot be performed because the path to the file or directory 'xxx_filename.extension' is too long."

When compressing, the length of the path to some of the files deeper in the directory structure exceeds the allowable path length. This seems like it's either a bug within windows or WINZIP. Does anyone know any hacks or workarounds to get around this? This is happening for not one, but many files. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2012
Super Moderator

Jerry K is on a distinguished road
idea Re: optiontips.in complaints

Windows and WinZIP will only allow a total of 256 characters for a folder/path. The only way around it it to move the files into a shortened path.... eg: C:\Misc\*.* or by shortening the folder names (before atttempting to zip) to something like C:\Misc (for Miscellaneous) or C:\Progra~1 (for C:\Program Files) or C:\Docs (for Documents and Settings).

After zipping, you can rename the folders back to their normal full length names. It's time consuming but workable. You might also try WinRAR as I believe it has 4 more character totals than WinZIP does for a total of 260 characters. You might get some more help by reading this document:

http://www.question-defense.com/2010...260-characters.
Reply [Upload Driver/Firmware]