Free Drivers Download  | Request and Support Forums

Free Drivers Download | Request and Support Forums (http://forums.driverguide.com/index.php)
-   Windows XP (http://forums.driverguide.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Lost password for Windows xp HELP HELP ! (http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=400)

Barry Lucas 11-08-2003 08:16 AM

Lost password for Windows xp HELP HELP !

I have for 3 days to overide my Windows login password, I have contacted Microsoft twice, Earthlink, Gateway, IBM etc. all say " must have original password" this don't seem right, they basically said to toss it, certainly there has to be a way to overide this ? does any kind soul out have the answer ?

Fujitsu Lifebook Cseries Laptop XP pro non - server 128 RAM

Thank You so much ! please contact me at: [email]noemailaddys@allowed.com[/email]

Jerry K 11-08-2003 04:17 PM

When you get to the login sceen, do a crtl-alt-del combo. Change the user to administrator and use the password you made when you upgraded to xp or originally installed it. Or, use a blank password. If it does not work, reinstall xp and make sure you add an extra account.
:)

Mike 12-11-2003 03:29 AM

XP Password

Yes, there is a way around it without reinstalling XP. Search the web for a NT password editor. There is one that is a Linux based program out there. It will boot your system from a floppy and allow you to edit the SAM file. With it you can delete the password and you're in. Can't tell you how many times I've had to do this to someone's system because they couldn't remember their password.

Hope it helps and Good Luck.

Jerry K 12-11-2003 09:17 PM

and another method:

Disabling Windows XP startup login prompt for password

1: Click Start, and Run
2: Type "Control Userpasswords2" and press enter.
3: Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
4: Click Apply and Ok.

Disabling prompt for password after Windows XP resumes from standby or hibernation

1: Click Start, Settings, and Control Panel
2: Double click Power Options
3: Uncheck the "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby" option.
4: Click Apply and then Ok. :hdspin:

Sam 12-13-2003 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Lucas
I have for 3 days to overide my Windows login password, I have contacted Microsoft twice, Earthlink, Gateway, IBM etc. all say " must have original password" this don't seem right, they basically said to toss it, certainly there has to be a way to overide this ? does any kind soul out have the answer ?

Fujitsu Lifebook Cseries Laptop XP pro non - server 128 RAM

Thank You so much ! please contact me at: barryjay2004@yahoo

Try removing the little battery in the laptop that looks like a very large watch battery for at least 30 min, then put back in. This will overided the cmos setting and should remove the windows password. If that doesn't work then find some software to recover your lost password.

Unregistered 11-30-2004 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry K
and another method:

Disabling Windows XP startup login prompt for password

1: Click Start, and Run
2: Type "Control Userpasswords2" and press enter.
3: Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
4: Click Apply and Ok.

Disabling prompt for password after Windows XP resumes from standby or hibernation

1: Click Start, Settings, and Control Panel
2: Double click Power Options
3: Uncheck the "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby" option.
4: Click Apply and then Ok. :hdspin:

Just a quick question..My boss some how forgot his administrative(Main user) password for XP and the hint does nothing to jog his memory. Will this work as a way to get into the administrative (main user) name? If not any pointers on how to get around the password on the main user interface. Thanks in advance

Melody

Snowwolf 07-07-2006 05:17 AM

Re: Lost password for Windows xp HELP HELP !

For INFO, the Linux Boot disk is a very good software. BUT if the system required a domain AUTHENTICATION, then it's a dead end for you because the linux boot will only alter LOCAL users.

NOTE that \\domain\Administrator is not the same as \\Local\Administrator
although some System Admin can configure in a way that both are the same.